The city’s name is taken literally from "seeds" of our heritage. The City of Black Jack was named for three, unusually large and outstanding American Oak trees that germinated and grew at the intersection of Old Halls Ferry and Parker Roads early in the nineteenth century. In 1840, these three trees were named and became widely known and recognized as ‘the Black Jacks’.
In 1970, Black Jack officially became a Third Class City.
As of the census of 2010, there were 6,929 people, 2,591 households, and 1,797 families residing in the city.